I recently got the dreaded “account settings are out-of-date” / ”kontoinställningarna är inaktuella” error message in Windows 10 e-mail and calender apps. After some Binging I found Don Cuthbert’s solution in an Windows Insider question, and it worked for me. I did not have to boot into repair mode – I could just delete the Comms folder using explorer after logging out and then logging back in.
Here are the steps involved:
- Uninstall the e-mail and calendar apps using this PowerShell commands:
Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object -Property Name -eq ‘microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps’ | Remove-AppxPackage
- Log out
- Log in again
- Delete the %localappdata%\Comms folder.
- In Settings –> Accounts, change to log in with a local account. This will prevent the offending data in the Comms folder to synchronize back from the cloud.
- Re-install the e-mail and calendar apps from Store.
- Still in Settings –> Accounts, delete the Microsoft account(s) for which you get the error message.
- Switch back to log in with your Microsoft account.
- Log out
- Log in with your Microsoft account.
- Launch the e-mail or calendar app.
- Add back your e-mail account(s).