Appearently, running BizTalk (or in fact any .net framework 2.0 application) on vmware in a Windows Server 2003 64 bit guest is unstable. You constantly get "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. (mscorlib)". See this vmware discussion forum thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/75536?tstart=0&start=0
Here are som possible solutions:
- Use a non-virtual server.
- Use Microsoft Virtual Server.
- Use Windows Server 2003 32 bit as a guest on wmvare.
- Upgrade to the the latest vmware version. One of my customers upgraded from ESX 3.0.2 to ESX 3.5 upd1. I don’t know yet if that fixed the problem.
- There have been suggestions to install a couple of hotfixes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923028 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943165. I don’t know if that works.